Life At The Nest

Life At The Nest

The Official Blog of SMCHS

Alyssa Flynn – Helpful Study Tips to Prepare for Final Exams

Hello Everyone,

My name is Alyssa Flynn and I am a counselor at Santa Margarita Catholic High School and I have some helpful tips for students as we approach final exams to conclude the fall semester.

As you approach finals, first, take a deep breath. In theory you have been preparing for this exam throughout the entire semester.  However, if that is not the case and you feel as if you are cramming a bit more than you would like, again, my first word of advice is to breathe. Follow these five simple tips and you should find yourself more prepared than ever before.

1. Make a study plan ahead of time: Know which finals will be on which days and plan to study ahead of time, not just the night before.
  2. Complete all study guides but do not depend on the guide as your only tool: Use old tests or quizzes, create Quizlets and make sure you have read ALL of your textbooks.
  3. Go see your teacher during their extended office hours: Go prepared with questions that you need answered and be as specific as possible (and next semester visit their office hours regularly).
  4. Get a good night rest the night before your exams: If you study ahead of time you will not need to cram and should go to bed because a well-rested brain will perform best.
  5. Pace yourself during the exam: When possible write your essay first or answer all the questions you do know going back to answer the rest later. Use test questions to help answer other test questions or add detail to your essay.

Good luck to you all and enjoy your Christmas break. Remember, when you return you will start the second semester with all A’s. All you have to do is keep them.

Mrs. Alyssa Flynn – SMCHS Counselor

1 Comment