Life At The Nest

Life At The Nest

The Official Blog of SMCHS

What Does Catholic School Mean to Me?

Amber Castor, Grade 10
I am grateful for attending a Catholic school because I’m given a place to learn and expand my faith.
I feel closer to my peers and most importantly to God – which I wouldn’t trade for the world.
SM is unified not only through our school spirit but also through our faith.

Lana Colaco, Grade 9
Coming from nearly ten years of public school, I was surprised by how smooth the transition was and how quickly I was able to make friends. The faith and positivity of the school is really vibrant! SM is a really positive learning environment and practically all of the teachers are willing to help out before or after school during office hours to go over homework, tests, quizzes or even just to review the material that we learned in class that day.

Emelin Conboy, Grade 10 
I am grateful for attending a Catholic school because I’ve been able to develop as a person academically and spiritually at the same time.

Benjamin Erhardt, Grade 12
I’m grateful for attending a Catholic school because it allows me to incorporate my Catholic faith into all of my academic, extracurricular, athletic and personal experiences.
I feel great walking around campus knowing I have friends among my peers and my teachers, and I love the atmosphere of inclusion and joy that is built on the school’s charism, Caritas Christi, the love of Christ.

Mikayla Gargantiel, Grade 9
The three attributes of my Catholic school that are important to me and really stand out in everyday life are respect, acceptance and sense of family. It’s not just the academic and extracurricular activities that makes SM stand out – it’s the kind words and actions of both students and staff. And our student section at the sports games is one heck of a fun time!

Sofia Lim, Grade 10
I am grateful to be able to practice my religion and share my faith with the other students around me. I’ve been fortunate enough to find friends not only in my grade level but in classes above and below me. There are friendly people that can welcome you wherever you go. SM’s Campus Ministry not only provides food for students, but they also provide support and great ways for students to receive guidance in our faith.

Yiheng (Kate) Lu, Grade 10
I’m grateful for attending a Catholic school because I do not have to deal with some of the anxieties that exist in public schools. My favorite attributes of my school are intellectual, safety and Caritas Christi.

Cailen McManus, Grade 12
I love having teachers and mentors of faith all around campus. The school has incredible academics, sports, visual arts, and performing arts, and it doesn’t only focus on one of those areas.

Jason Schillig, Grade 11
I am grateful for this school because of the respect for individual ambitions and the way that teachers treat their students. At SM, the teachers genuinely care about the success of individual students and will do everything they can to help you succeed.

Jessica Shaw, Grade 10
SM stands out above other schools because it is a loving community that will help you in your journey through life by providing guidance. I appreciate that the administration has taken measures to ensure that the school is safe and drug/alcohol free.

Jillian Surdilla, Grade 9
I am grateful for attending SM because I was able to meet my friends here – and I can learn more about my faith.

Madeleine Wagner, Grade 9
I am grateful that my family is able to send me to SM so that my faith in Christ can be deepened and that I can pray in school. I have never felt as truly connected to God as I feel here. Everyone is kind, accepting, welcoming and loving.

Bailey Woinarowicz, Grade 11
SM is like my second home. I love that I get to practice my faith with my classmates and attend Mass with my friends. I am grateful to attending a Catholic school because it gives me the ability to practice my faith in a non-judgment environment, and to learn about God in religion class is an amazing opportunity that I feel blessed to experience every day.